Silence the Accuser

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 | 15 Comments

Have you ever heard a condemnatory voice in the background of your thought, or maybe to your face, that constantly criticizes everything you do?
For instance, an on-going rant to the effect of…
I’m doing my job poorly. I look terrible. I walk funny. I weigh too much. I said the wrong thing. I’m not good enough. I make too many mistakes. I’m not worthy…
…and the list goes on and on.
If you’ve ever heard this voice, it’s not yours, BTW! It’s the Accuser, the carnal mind at work doing what the carnal mind does—anything and everything it can to discourage God’s people from rising up in the strength of Spirit and demonstrating the power and presence of Good over evil.
Don’t let it take over your thinking! See it for the evil it is and shut it down.
You are a beloved, precious, intelligent, beautiful, wise, able and capable child of God who is competent and worthy of all that is good and right.
Sure, as humans, we all have much to improve, sin to conquer, and truth to demonstrate. But that is no excuse to allow mortal mind to beat us up all the time while we learn our spiritual lessons and move ahead step by step.
Cast the Accuser out. Don’t be gentle or acquiescent. Get tough and stand up for your spiritual rights.
You have a right to live free of constant berating, criticizing and belittlement.
God loves you, values you, and upholds you. Honor this love and accept it for yourself.
The Accuser has no sway over you, no control over your thinking, or ability to make you feel bad about yourself. It cannot control your thinking. So, don’t be convinced that it does.
Exercise your God-given right to feel good about the accomplishments you have made, and the good you are in the middle of demonstrating. When you’re working for God you’re working on the side of right, and the Accuser has no place, right or space to occupy in your consciousness. With Christ’s help, you can declare NO to the condemnations and shut them down. Truth washes up the Accuser and sends it packing. Side with the truth and live free.
“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” Revelation 12:9,10

Print Friendly

1. Susan
    April 12, 2013

Thanks Evan. I appreciate your thoughts and today in particular. I’ve never commented before so lets see if it works.

Susan

2. Anonymous
    April 12, 2013

SO helpful to realize from your article that those negative thoughts aren’t ours at all, but the carnal mind’s attempt to divert our attention away from things of the Spirit. That’s the only office the carnal mind can hold…to be the SUGGESTOR (I don’t think that’s a word) that we are somehow less that what God has made us to be. Jesus defeated the carnal mind in his desert experience by standing firm with the first commandment, by a strong:”Satan get thee hence”, or in modern vernacular: “”Get lost! This article is reminding me, with the grace of God, to not give anything the carnal mind has to say a moment of attention. Being single minded–the rewards are huge! So appreciate your fine thinking, Evan.

3. Susan
    April 12, 2013

For me, the accuser imitates a real person (if there is such a thing) in my past, my mother. My mother is still alive but I rarely see her. She probably heard the same stuff from her mother, but casting it out becomes more difficult when it is someone you loved and wanted to love you. Still, you are right, it is time. And I love that CS teaches that evil is impersonal, NOT a person, place or thing. That helps. Thanks, Evan

4. Anonymous
    April 12, 2013

GREAT article along this line on JSH online called Man is not distracted by Thomas Asher–amazing article!

5. Scott
    April 12, 2013

Thank you Evan. Michael Singer in his marvelous book, The Unteathered Soul, gives some wonderful instructions on how to deal with mortal mind, or as he calls it, your inner roomate. Modern spiritual writers are beginning to catch on to what Mrs. Eddy wrote about over 100 years ago, even though they haven’t quite grasped the nature of matter and the fundamental truths about how Jesus healed. But they are making progess and have useful insights to share.

6. jon s
    April 12, 2013

self condemnation is a wolf in sheeps clothing that would try to make us forget that “I am the image and likeness of god”,not everyone else.
    thanks evan for alerting us to a wolf spotting in the area

7. Anonymous
    April 12, 2013

Have I ever heard this voice? I hear it constantly. That’s why I study Christian Science.

8. Susan
    April 12, 2013

Thanks to Anonymous for the recommendation of the JSH article. It is very good.

9. Tobias A. Weissman
    April 12, 2013

Before I came into C/S, my mother, Irene Weissman and my father Joseph, have both helped me cope with the world’s acceptance of me. I was born with Cerebral Palsy in an atmosphere in those days, 1930’s, 1950’s, and the start of the 1960’s, where any kind of handicap was thought to be unproductive individuals and should be placed in an institution to die there. My parents taught me that simple child’s saying; “STICKS & STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES, BUT NAMES CAN NEVER HURT ME.” That saying was the ancestor of what Evan’s Blog is all about.

10. Nea
    April 13, 2013

Thank Evan and all commentators! Thanks for the suggested article in the journal. These two this morning gave me great peace, and courage to silence the arguments and suggestions of the accuser. I have a question: what is the meaning of BTW?

11. Evan
    April 13, 2013

BTW = By The Way…

12. Solange Kei
    April 18, 2013

What I most liked about this post is that while I was reading it I became more aware of these “Accuser thougts”. Many times they are so sneaky and silent that before I realize they are already negatively influencing me.
    Besides, I also noticed that some of these “Accuser thougts” have been close for such a long time that I got used to them. But I woke up and understood that it´s time for them to go away ! Stop being used to these negativities and let the light of God shine and make me new. Thank you, Evan !!!

13. Bud
    May 24, 2014

Yes, Yes, Yes, I must say No, No, No to these negative thoughts. God is doing good through me, and I must not disrespect that. I have so much to learn, and the good is not created by me, nor is it my personal possession, but it is to be shared with the world at God’s directing.

14. Kathy F.
    August 23, 2014

To be reminded that the Accuser is internal, in our own minds, is so enlightening. I try to read your blog each day Evan, because it really helps me to say “no” to the endless dribble of accusations I feed myself 🙂 Watch and Listen. Thanks again for the inspiration.

15. Grateful
    October 23, 2014

Thank you, Evan. This blog is so helpful in recognizing that all that condemnation is not the reality – that it is only the Accuser. I was at a point recently when the Accuser seemed very active and very real – so much so that I was unable to function normally. Casting the Accuser out seemed impossible. Then the angel message came: “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee.” I turned from “swinging” at the Accuser to focusing on God – the result was an immediate cessation of the barrage from the Accuser. It is impossible to be conscious of God and the Accuser at the same time.