Finding confidence

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 | 19 Comments
Finding confidence

Sometimes I hear people say, “I need more confidence.” And I often reply, “You always have confidence in something. Be sure that your confidence is in the right thing!”

There is no such thing as a lack of confidence. Everyone has a full complement of confidence to draw upon. The more relevant question is, “Where are you putting your confidence?”

When you sit down to eat a meal, do you have more confidence in food consumption leading to weight gain or in the one Mind shaping and forming you in God’s fit and healthy image?

When you witness co-workers coughing, do you have more faith in catching a cold or in the truth that you live, breathe and work in an atmosphere of divine Love where there is no dangerous germ to fear, but only the health-catching goodness from God to feel and express?

When you pay your bills, do you have confidence in not having enough, or a keen sense of the abundance of Mind’s resources that meet your every need and never run out?

When you start your day, do you have more confidence in doom and gloom dominating your perspective or confidence in God’s allness where there is light and joy, peace and harmony, health and freedom abounding wherever you go and in whatever you do?

Each of us have plenty of confidence. It abounds in our thought. We never lack confidence. It’s all about where are you putting your confidence? Are you placing it in good, or in evil? In matter, or in Spirit? In error, or in Truth?

Place your confidence well and prosper.

“Blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit”
Jeremiah 17:7,8, NLT.

1. Linda, Cheshire, UK
    November 7, 2017

Thank you for this excellent and thought-provoking SV. The ideas you brought out really made me stop and ask myself where I am putting my confidence – in Spirit/God or in mortal mind/matter. It’s so important to be alert to what and who we are looking to as the only power. You always come up with great ideas to help us to stay on the right path! I look forward to these every day.

2. Jenny
    November 7, 2017

I couldn’t agree more, Linda. Thank you so much , Evan.

3. MB
    November 7, 2017

My thanks also Evan – you give us lots to consider each day. Very grateful.

4. Anne Daly
    November 7, 2017

Thank you, Evan, for this thought provoking ‘questionnaire’, it is most helpful to look at what exactly we trust – God or mortal mind – to keep our lives as the full expression of Divine Life.

Anne, West Midlands UK

November 7, 2017

Thank you Evan. I am going to practice putting my confidence in Spirit , Truth and good.

6. diane
    November 7, 2017

Confidence in Truth, good, not error; confidence in Mind’s all-presence, in Love’s all-loving, in the fact that God has already solved the problem, healed the case, provided the answer, opened the door.
    There’s a wonderful example of the profound effect of confidence in God rather than in failure in a classic 1903 Christian Science Journal article of that name by Martha Harris Bogue.

7. Jan in New Mexico
    November 7, 2017

“… confidence in God as All …” (S&H 397)
    Great reminder!
    Thanks, Evan.

November 7, 2017

Perfect post for me today. Thank you Evan.

November 7, 2017

Confidence, or you might say faith, in God, good (not evil), in Truth (not error), in Love (not hate), Spirit, (not matter),etc., gives us peace, no matter the circumstance. Principle, divine Love, keeps all in harmony and causes our lives to run smoothly. Thanks, Evan!

10. deb
    November 7, 2017

so true!! and so easily applied cos’ we all have confidence in SOMEthing…..I’ll be more aware now of where I’m putting it. Really love your contributions to us all Evan, thank YOU!!

November 7, 2017

Thanks, diane, for the referral on the article “Confidence” by Martha Harris Bogue. It is actually in the January 2000 issue of the Journal quoting her article from the March 1903 Journal. I had a little difficulty retrieving it so thought I’d mention this. It is certainly worth reading.

12. Kenny Toy
    November 7, 2017

What a great exercise to shift allegiance from creation to the Creator. Thank you!

13. Shireen
    November 7, 2017

Thank you so much Evan. For the reading and listening pleasure of your SpiritView family, here is a link to the article which Diane and Lori refer to:

Enjoy!

14. Nadine
    November 7, 2017

very nice and thank you. I had a practitioner say to me once you begin where you want to go. What I think he meant for us beginners was to begin with the truth. I will keep this in mind as I go about my day. thanks for the article.

15. Shireen
    November 7, 2017

This is the article referred to by Diane and Lori.
    Thank you Evan for today’s blog and thanks to all who shared their comments.

November 7, 2017

Thank you Evan for this thought provoking blog today. The first “When” hit home. I’m going to keep it in kitchen. Thank you to all commentors for your insightful remarks.

17. Tellie
    November 7, 2017

I needed this. Thank you Evan.
    It is a new perspective of looking at confidence for me.
    So helpful.

18. Walt
    November 7, 2017

Really great thoughts as usual, Evan. They really hit the spot for me today. Thanks!

19. Lorraine
    November 8, 2017

Love this. Going to keep watch on where my confidence lies. Thank you Evan and all