Set goals you can reach

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 | 14 Comments
Set goals you can reach

One way to set yourself up for guaranteed success in life is to set goals you can always reach. Set spiritual goals.

I keep learning this lesson in tennis. If my goal is to win a match, I set myself up for major disappointment if I don’t win the match. However, if I set a spiritual goal of striving to be a better player through keener listening for Mind’s direction during play, expressing quicker reflexes during a point, or discerning wiser strategy to finish a game, I can always succeed, because I can reach these goals no matter what my opponent does. There are never material obstacles standing in the way of achieving spiritual desires.

We feel defeat or loss when we strive for material outcomes and don’t reach them. But this feeling is not necessary. The most important success in life is not how much money we earn, what worldly position we attain, fame we acquire or award we win. It’s how spiritually minded we are. In the long run, what we materially acquire is lost. What we gain spiritually stays with us forever. Spiritual accomplishment is the one accomplishment that sticks and continues to grow and bless us ever more while the temporal dims, fades and falls away.

So, set yourself up for success. Set spiritual goals, and put all your energy, might and effort into reaching them. God will support you 100% of the way and you can find deep peace in knowing there isn’t anything or anyone to hold you back from attaining the most important outcome of all—greater spiritual mindedness.

“Spiritual attainments open the door to a higher understanding of the divine Life”
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 10.

1. Nergish
    September 13, 2017

So very true Evan, what we materially gain is not substantial but spiritual accomplishments ultimately matter. So it’s so wise to keep a check all the time on spiritual mindedness, on how far we are progressing in our spiritual journey, instead of wasting time and energy over material accomplishments. Striving consistently to become a better player is like winning a match each day.
    I recently read, that the emptiness within us, gives rise to the craving for money, fame and recognition. But when we know and understand that the Kingdom of Heaven reigns within us, there is total satisfaction and bliss. God’s goodness is always at hand. We only need to tune into our Inner net instead of the internet.

2. Katie
    September 13, 2017

So true! The Apostle Paul said, …”to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” Bible, Romans 8: 6

A very good reminder for us all. Thank you Evan

4. Ellen Biemer
    September 13, 2017

Thanks! I’ve had a lot of stuff stack up in my apartment over the past few years, when I haven’t been feeling well, and have felt under a lot of stress. While I know it’s important to focus on spiritual work, and the rest will follow, it still gets to me. But, with my Christian Science teacher’s help, I’ve been making progress. She reminded me of a quote from Science & Health, by Mary Baker Eddy:

“To ascertain our progress, we must learn where our affections are placed and whom we acknowledge and obey as God. If divine Love is becoming nearer, dearer, and more real to us, matter is then submitting to Spirit. The objects we pursue and the spirit we manifest reveal our standpoint, and show what we are winning.” (SH 239:16)

Thinking about keeping my goal on spiritual progress rather than material results is a big help!

5. Rafikka

6. Maximo

What is spiritual progress
    In the ever present perfection
    Of God’s creation
    What can be ‘acquired’
    When all we need is here.

The power and Glory
    of the Light of God,
    When seen, when
    Peered into,
    will make pale
    and dream like
    any previous ideas
    of who or what one
    thought they were

• Patty

Brilliant!

• Uta, Hamburg/Germany
      September 13, 2017

may I ad at the end a little to your precious poem, Maximo?

… and let shine that power and glory
      of our God everywhere 🙂

September 13, 2017

A passage that has meant a lot to me over the years is: “The spiritually minded meet on the stairs which lead up to spiritual love.” (Ret 78:14) Spiritual mindedness was the first thing on my list of what I wanted in a friend, companion, husband. Also, Jesus counseled us to seek the kingdom of God first, and all the other “things” would be added. Spiritual goals are #1, for sure! And seeking spiritual enlightenment first removes the material goals from our thought.

8. Teresa
    September 13, 2017

Thanks Evan. Now I see where the difference is, I had always hoped and waited for a physical healing to determine success and happiness even though I have gained so much progress spiritually along the way.

9. Laurie
    September 13, 2017

Thank you, Evan. I love these ideas!

10. Patty
    September 13, 2017

Thanks so much Evan for reminding me that my desire to achieve an “object”-ive must be consciously transmuted from the shadow to the light, thus my desire for perfection, satisfaction and success means my daily to-do list is “in all things watch and pray” – not from the perspective of a physical being struggling to fix or somehow manipulate the material shadow but from the light of the highest understanding I have of my perfect, ever satisfying and always successful spiritual nature that must therefore cast a corresponding shadow.

11. Uta, Hamburg/Germany
    September 13, 2017

Thank you so much, dear Evan, for reminding us that we can only be really satisfied with spiritual attainments instead of worldly gainings.

Here in Germany we already had our Wednesday evening testimony meeting.
    It was my turn to do the reading tonight. It was a satisfying meeting and I am grateful that we all gained in a certain manner our spiritual food, coming from Christ – thank you God 🙂

September 13, 2017

Thank you for this reminder Evan. And thank you Teresa for your comments. I, too, now see where the difference is. I had always hoped and waited for a physical healing to determine success and happiness, but realize I have gained so much progress spiritually along the way.