Waking Out of Old Memories

Posted by on Aug 14, 2014 in God, good, memory, omnipotence | 15 Comments
Waking Out of Old Memories

Where does the majority of your attention devote it’s time and energy? Dwelling on old mortal mind memories, or exploring fresh new divine Mind realities?

It’s a good question to ask for those who want to make spiritual progress in their lives. To progress, we have to look forward. It’s like driving down the highway. If your gaze is fixed on the rearview mirror, you’re going to drive into the ditch and get stuck. You have to keep your gaze focused on the road in front of you to keep the vehicle on track and moving toward your destination.

The same rule applies to life. We can’t be mesmerized by incidents of the past, grieving them, regretting them or worrying about them, if we’re going to progress tomorrow. We need to come to terms with them quickly, resolve to move on, and look ahead.

In truth, we have only a spiritual history to consider. We are children of God, born of Spirit, and there is no material history to agonize over in Spirit.

In the Big Picture of eternal Life, everything that happens in the so-called mortal existence is as dust. It blows away and is gone forever. There is no record of it in the divine Mind. It’s as nothing. So, we shouldn’t be making that which is temporal into something that feels eternal. We need to focus on what is. And God is!

Mary Baker Eddy wrote, “The human history needs to be revised, and the material record expunged.” Retrospection and Introspection, p. 22. If you’re struggling with mortal memories, it’s time to get some mega-expunging action going on!

Size your situation up from a spiritual point of view.

God is a forgiving God. God does not keep track of our mistakes. God sees our perfections.

God does not hold resentments. God loves and loves and loves.

God does not allow an evil to go on forever. The omnipresence of Love defeats it and removes it forever.

What we were not able to accomplish yesterday, God can accomplish tomorrow, but perhaps in a much different way than we ever envisioned.

No good is ever lost. God is good, and here and now.

Enjoy the here and now of God’s good! Let go of mortal yesterdays, wake to spiritual reality, and get set to receive the even greater good in front of you.

Print Friendly

1. Nancy
    August 14, 2014

This is one of the best ever!! Just what I need! A keeper for sure! Thank you!!!

2. Libby
    August 14, 2014

A great wake-up message. Thank you for this reminder to focus on God and His/Her goodness and to stop ruminating about the past.

3. Grace
    August 14, 2014

“Size your situation up from a spiritual point of view.”

If we consistently did that, our lives would be transformed! And the whole world would be too!
    What a wonderful message, Evan.

4. Susan
    August 14, 2014

Best ever for sure! Thank you Evan.

5. SpiritView Fan
    August 14, 2014

Good Wake-Up Call, Evan. Thank you.

What is thought focusing on? What is trying to mesmerize me?
    Is thought grieving over past dreams, regrets, lost opportunites?
    What is Worry suggesting? That I may fail in the future?
    Is this not…atheism?
    I read a quote not long ago: “Worry is atheism.”

That woke me up!

I love GOD!!

Forward I go on Truth’s Road !

:<))

6. Tellie

Spot on Evan.

7. TOBIAS A. WEISSMAN
    August 14, 2014

To ruminate over the past is as bad as firing a gun into your month and killing yourself,

8. GR
    August 14, 2014

This was really helpful. I printed it out. Worth re-reading as a reminder to not look back for any reason. It’s easy to do that. I have a friend who recently visited where she grew up and said she didn’t want to leave there, not knowing if she would ever make it back there. Thanks Evan!

9. Seeker
    August 14, 2014

With tears in my eyes, this is the truth I deeply need. Thank you.

10. Pat
    August 14, 2014

Thanks so much for this Evan. Just what I needed to hear and to ponder as I begin my day.
    This is such a liberating truth for all. Jesus said “Take no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.” (Matthew 6:34). And then there is a little phrase I read awhile back. It said…..”Worry is ingratitude in advance. Worry implies that there’s going to be sometime in the future when God’s power and presence aren’t going to be available.” We can’t and should not “worry” about the past as you pointed out so well. Thanks again Evan.

11. Sandy
    August 14, 2014

Thank you so much, Evan. This brings into focus exactly what I’ve been praying about for some time. The comments are powerful, too. As we mentally expunge the past in our own experience, we do it for the world. Just think how powerful that is. This is definitely a keeper! Thanks ever so much for such clarity of thought.

12. joy
    August 14, 2014

I am ever grateful for this much needed reminder.

13. Bill Gearhart
    August 14, 2014

It is so easy to dwell on the past as we have experienced many incidents and situations. It is so nice to have addressed what we should be thinking about by keeping our spiritual awareness and our clarity of thought.

Thanks for updating our direction.

14. Kathy Frith
    August 17, 2014

I loved your thought that “What we were not able to accomplish yesterday, God can accomplish tomorrow …” Such a relief to know we are always loved. Thanks Evan :-)

15. Viola
    August 17, 2014

How do I creatively fill my photograph album of photos of our family, friends from vacations, trips , activities of all kinds and enjoy viewing them with others when we look at the albums on future occasions. I enjoy this occupation and others appreciate my time spent organizing and putting these books together. Please comment on this activity, Evan van thank you.