Understand that you are governed by God

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 |
Understand that you are governed by God

“When man is governed by God, the ever-present Mind who understands all things, man knows that with God all things are possible.”

~ Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health, p. 180

All things are possible to God. We experience this reality more and more when we are consciously governed by God, and not by fear, false belief, opinion, material perspective or medical decree.

1. Elizabeth Crampton
    July 31, 2018

Why is the man pictured looking up? I’m new to CS and having had the reality check that God is within us, why look” heavenward”?

• Evan Mehlenbacher
      July 31, 2018

The man looking up is symbolic for thought looking up from matter to Spirit, from the mortal to the immortal. But in Truth, God is all around.

2. Patricia

Hi Elizabeth
    My thought is the picture of a physical depiction of a mental act. We often have to lift our
    thought to a higher place. Our Exemplar, Jesus, when demonstrating supply of food
    “and looking up to heaven, he blessed them ” (Luke 16:9).

One time my dog was hit by a car. It was hard to pass the place where it happened without my
    remembering. But when I got to the place, I purposely lifted my eyes to the sky and refused to look at the spot. It helped to break the spell of thinking there ever was a moment when God is not in complete control. Blessings

3. Patricia

Sorry the Bible text above should be Luke 9:16

4. Loren Mayhew CS
    July 31, 2018

Well, there are three things which are not possible to God but all the rest is possible. Sin, disease and death are not possible.

5. Shirley of TX
    July 31, 2018

Patricia, that was a lovely explanation for looking “up”. As always gratitude for our
    assurance that with God all things are possible
    My precious cousins have just come through the Redding, CA, unscathed I’m so thankful
    God is good

6. SpiritViewFan

Recently The Mother Church has put out a
    jsh-online.com Survey asking subscribers to share any ideas for helping clarify our periodicals
    (or something on this order) to enable newcomers to Christian Science to understand the terminology used in Christian Science.

When I read the first Comment, I am reminded of how it was for me, as a newcomer. When I read “man,” I imagined a man in a suit walking around town! I had to learn to translate the word to mean “man in God’s image,” the true, spiritual man.
    A hu-man in a suit with his arms reaching for the heavens is simply a hint of the Real Man, the complete (compound) idea, man. (which includes us “women,” too, of course!)

Don’t worry, Elizabeth, God will, IS, unfolding to you all you need to know! Feel loved, dear one.

😉

July 31, 2018

Evan, your thought on being governed by God ties in with what I have been working on. I have some notes from an article by Hank Teller, “Predestinated for good” (Sentinel, January 1, 2018) which I personalized to apply to me. One of these is, “every aspect of my being is governed by God’s law,…I am not governed by material laws, worldly opinions, or diagnoses.” I am striving to demonstrate that God’s law is the one and only law governing me.

• UTA , Germany

dear Lori

thanks for your comment – would
      it be possible for you to give us the
      link to that article by Hank Teller
      from the Sentinel January 1, 2018,
      so that we can read it?

Would be very happy and thankful!

8. John
    July 31, 2018

Yes, every aspect of our (my) being is governed by God Reminded that the ray of light from the sun , God and man are one.

July 31, 2018

Thank you Evan for your so simple and clear explanation to Elizabeth`s question, which is important to clarify for a new loved idea in Christian Science!

I love the quote from Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy, and I love the two sentences following this wonderful quote from SH very much, Evan, its all very helpful and uplifting! Thanks a lot 🙂

And thank you all for your interesting and inspired comments! 🙂

Dear Uta,
    I am so sorry but I don’t have the technical capability to give you a link. I just use JSH-Online. Maybe someone else will read this and be able to help.

11. Brian
    August 1, 2018

Here is a link to the article Lori referenced…

August 1, 2018